Thursday, December 2, 2010

Origin of the name “AFRICA”

The passion to know more about Africa is a great passion for History, I owe you no apology if I decide not to tell you my story, but just like dozens of my international readers will always say, they need something direct from my Bakery…ok, today I will tell you the origin of that name AFRICA.
Afri was the name of several people who dwelt in North Africa near Carthage. Their name is usually connected with Phoenician afar, “dust”, but a 1981 theory has asserted that it stems from a berber word ifri or ifran meaning “cave”, in reference to cave dwellers, AFRICA or Ifri or Afer is a name of Banu Ifran from Algeria and Tripolitania (Berber Tribe of Yafran)
Under Roman rule, cathage became the capital of Africa Province, which also includes the coastal part of modern Libya. The roman suffix “ca” denotes “country or land”. The later Muslim Kingdom of Ifriqiya, modern-day Tunisia, also preserved a form of the name.
Nevertheless, the job of my story bakery is to get the ingredients of nothing, putting it together under my candle light, I get something for you…no doubt…
Other etymologies that have been postulated for the ancient “Africa” have something you may need to know
The 1st century Jewish historian flavius Josephus (ant. 1.15) asserted that it was named for Epher, grandson of Abraham according to Gen 25:4, whose descendants, he claimed had invaded Lybia.
Latin word aprica meaning  "sunny" as mentioned by isidore of seville in Etymologiae XIV.5.2.
The greek word aphrike, meaning "without cold" this was proposed by historian Leo Africanus (14881554), who suggested the greek word Phrike (meaning "cold and horror") combined with the primitive prefix "a" thus indicating a land free of cold and horror.
 i'm really giving you hot stories from my bakery and it's a gift from my kind heart. i believe Africa is History itself... yes...yes..
massey, in 1981, derived an etymology from the egyptian af-rui-ka, "to turn toward the opening of the Ka". the Ka is the energetic double of every person and the opening of the Ka" refers to a womb or birthplace. Africa would be, for the Egyptians "the birthplace"
Yes, i support that philosophy, it a birth place for heroes like the Lion king George, that's me.. what do you think of Africa as a birthplace?

Another hypothesis was proposed by michele fruyt in revue de philologie, i came across this one recently..50.1976:221-238, linking the latin word with africus "south wind", which would be umbrian origin and mean originally "rainy wind"
Hei, i'm going back to my Den to rule over my empire, just keep coming around here for subsequent packages of my African stories..

No comments: